Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Are You Ready to Make the Leap? (Part 3)

I’m back with another installment in the “Are You Ready to Make the Leap?” series, designed to help you figure out if it’s time to pursue the freelance life. We’ve already heard two “start thinking about leaving if ...” situations. Now it’s time for the third.

1. You’re restless.

2. You’re looking for flexibility.

3. You have the right personality. Not everyone is cut out for the freelancer’s life. On the surface, it seems pretty cush. Work in your pajamas. Get up when you want, quit when you want. Pick work when you want to. Be your own boss.

But the reality is, it’s hard.

When I started working from home remotely for my previous career, I had plenty of people tell me, “Wow. I don’t know how you do it. I would never have the dedication to work from home.”

They’re a step ahead of many freelancers, who leap without realizing just how much work is involved.

It’s true: I could leave my office right now and go watch TV. I can go to the gym, the grocery store, the bank whenever I want. If I want to take a snooze, I could walk away from my computer at any moment and do just that. Yet for the most part, since I started my own full-time freelance writing business a couple of weeks ago, I’ve put in at least 7 hours a day (and sometimes many, many more than that)—mostly sitting like I am right now, at my desk, in my office.

Some people have the right personality for this kind of work. They’re independent, they can handle being alone without someone to chat with for hours at a time. They’re focused and dedicated and not easily distracted. They can juggle multiple projects and tasks at one time and switch quickly between them, without waiting for someone else to supervise and tell them what to do.

Does that sound like you? Then you may be ready. If not, think a little harder. There isn’t one personality you must have to make freelancing work for you. But if you’re easily distracted or are thinking about freelancing just so you can enjoy the free and easy benefits, I wouldn’t jump quite yet. Remember, it’s freelance work. Not freelance leisure.

Photo: ClickFlashPhotos

No comments:

Post a Comment