Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Organization Procrastination

Sometimes when I feel the need to procrastinate, I flip through a magazine. Other times I stare blankly at my computer—at RSS feeds, at the cursor blinking on a blank page, at whatever random website I type in. But often when I really want to delay the inevitable or my brain is fried, I organize.

A bit anal retentive, yes. But it allows me to be productive without actually having to think.

The evening after I gave my notice for my job, I thought I’d have this intense motivation. I thought I’d dive right in with making a game plan, with sending out queries, with something. But I didn’t want to do any of that. Instead I began purging my office of the mess of files I’d let get out of control, of piles upon piles of paper that didn’t really mean anything anymore because they were random notes and page maps from publications I hadn’t worked on in ages.

It was productive in its own way. And it felt good, cathartic even. When spring rolls around, the urge to clean, to start anew, strikes. I suppose it makes sense that the same thing would happen when it finally comes time to make a major, life-changing decision like quitting your job.

I would’ve tackled additional piles—would’ve pulled out and sorted through the assortment of magazines that have overtaken my bookshelves, might’ve even tackled some of the files on my computer—except that by that point I was thoroughly exhausted and needed to go to bed.

And that’s the trick with organizing: You have to learn when to quit. Particularly when you’re using it as an excuse to put off other to-dos that need addressed.

Organization in small doses can be a worthwhile procrastination technique. For starters, according to Dawn Martin, the average person spends roughly 150 hours per year searching for documents, electronic files, and other information—that’s equivalent to nearly a month of work. So if you take the time to organize your desk, your computer, whatever it is, it may be worth it in the long run because you’ll be able to easily find what you’re looking for so you can get back to the task at hand.

Another benefit of spending some time organizing: it can help you clear your head. As a writer, it’s easy to get stuck, to fall victim to writer’s block. Sometimes the best way to find clarity and get your head on straight is to step away from the computer for a while and engage a different part of your brain. Filing papers may seem mundane, but often it’s exactly the break creative types need to return to the task at hand focused and thinking clearly.

Writers and other freelancers, just like any office workers, are human. We’re prone to procrastination at some point in our days, no matter how busy they may be. At least when you decide to alphabetize your books or shred papers you’re able to check something else off your to-do list, even if it means you’re not getting that article done. So don’t beat yourself up over the time you spent organizing. It’s productive in its own way, even if it doesn’t directly lead to a paycheck.

The trick with organizing, however, is to know when to quit. Or, the next thing you know, you’re down on your knees scrubbing dirt out of the corners of the room five hours after you started and you haven’t written a single word.

The next time you get the urge to organize (or are looking for something to do besides writing), try this trick: Set a timer. Give yourself five minutes, ten, fifteen max. That’s plenty of time to get through a pile or two or even more, depending on how much of a packrat you’ve been. And when the timer dings? Stop what you’re doing. Set those documents down. And get to work.

Learn More
If you want to organize ...
The Messy Guide to Staying Organized (Freelance Folder)
Freelance Writers Need to Stay Organized (Beyond the Rhetoric)

If you want to stop procrastinating ...
How to Avoid Procrastination as a Freelancer (Freelance Folder)
6 Causes of Procrastination (Freelance Writing)

No comments:

Post a Comment