Thursday, August 6, 2009

Perfecting Your Elevator Pitch

When someone asks you what you do for a living, what do you say?

It's a complicated question for me, and a response usually involves a lot of hemming and hawing before I mutter under my breath, "I'm a freelance writer." Then I wait for the next question, which is inevitable, and usually is some form of: "OK, but, what do you write?"

I'm not very good at describing what it is I do because it's complicated. My honey can say "I'm a lawyer" and everyone knows exactly what that means, although they may ask what kind of law he practices. But "freelance writer" is a fuzzy term, one that isn't clear-cut, and that isn't familiar to many people.

It could mean I write magazine articles, newspaper articles, blog posts, website content, advertising copy, short stories, novels. It could mean I'm simply unemployed and sit in my bedroom penning terrible poems that I won't share with anyone (although, fortunately, that's not the case). It means a lot of things to a lot of people and nothing to most—in other words, it requires clarification.

Yet most of the time I end up passing along some vague description and changing the subject, because I'd rather not talk about myself for that long and figure the person asking is being nice and doesn't really care anyway.

But, I'm beginning to realize, that's not what a savvy freelancer should do. Even if you're meeting some random acquaintance at a party or are being introduced to someone in the park, you have an opportunity. You have the chance to promote what you do, to pique interest in your work.

Perhaps the person you're speaking to will simply have a better grasp of—and, likely, an appreciation for—what you do. Maybe you'll have scored another reader for your personal blog. Or, you never know, that person may file what you said away in their mind and later, when they overhear someone talking about the need for a stellar writer, your name will come up.

And that, my friends, is why you don't brush off career questions or mumble responses under your breath. Be specific, be confident, and explain exactly what you do to anyone who asks.

Often called "the elevator pitch," it's a brief description of your job, your business, or a service you offer. The premise is this: If you're stuck in an elevator with the CEO of a major company (or anyone, for that matter), what could you say in the span of that elevator ride to explain yourself and your skills (and, potentially, to land a job)?

In the process of creating my own spiel, I've discovered that the best elevator pitches are:

Interesting. I have 30 to 60 seconds to hook this person's attention and that's it. So I need to draw them in right away. Think of it as your lede—what can you say first thing to get your listener interested in your pitch?

Specific. There's no time to waste rambling on when it comes to an elevator pitch. Stick to clear, concise, active words so you can say as much as possible as briefly as possible.

Customized. Who are you talking to and what will interest them most? If you're speaking with an entrepreneur, play up the writing you've done for small business pubs or the copywriting project you just finished for a local company. If you're chatting with a dietitian, mention the series of nutrition articles you recently wrote for a parenting website.

Passionate. If you're not excited about what you do, why would anyone else care? There's no need to go over the top here, but the enthusiasm you show for your work may rub off on the person you're speaking to.

Actionable. Hand over a business card with your contact info and web address. Scribble down the address to a blog you write that you think the person you're speaking to might like. Ask if you can follow-up with an email explaining a bit more about what you do. Inquire as to whether the person you're speaking to knows anyone who's looking for a talented writer. You never know where your pitch might lead if you ask.

Ready to write your own elevator pitch? Check out a real-life elevator pitch, then share yours here.

Learn More
The Art of the Elevator Pitch (Business Know-How)
Elevator Pitch 101 (Chris O'Leary)
Crafting an Effective Elevator Pitch [slideshow] (BusinessWeek)

Photo: serakatie

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, Julie! It just so happens that I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and you just showed me how I need to really perfect this opportunity! I've been running into people who ask me what I do, and I say "freelance writer" and then don't know where to go with it. Trying to figure out if they care or what they need from the exchange! Thanks for reminding me I need to work on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it, Kristine. I think it's a big challenge and, to be honest, I'm still figuring out what exactly to say in each situation myself.

    ReplyDelete